Call Us On - 01952 249500

Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS)

Red eyes, sore eyes, itchy eyes?

If you are worried about a recent eye condition - there is now a new free service to offer advice.

You can access this service if you are registered with a GP in Shropshire or Telford and Wrekin.

MECS (Minor Eye Conditions Service) is provided by Community Health and Eye Care Limited (CHEC) and delivered by local accredited opticians, who can offer appointments if you need advice or treatment for a recent eye condition.

When to use MECS

Recent eye conditions that can be treated by the service include:

  • Red eye, Dry eye, gritty and uncomfortable eyes
  • Irritation and inflammation of the eye
  • Significant recent sticky discharge from the eye or watery eye
  • Recently occurring or sudden increase of flashes and floaters
  • Painful eye
  • Ingrowing eyelashes
  • Recent and sudden reduced vision
  • Something in your eye

Please note this is not a sight test for glasses.

If you are unsure whether your symptoms can be assessed and treated by the service, please contact a participating optician who will advise you.

You should go to A & E if you have.....

  • Sudden loss of vision in one or both eyes
  • Considerable eye pain
  • Significant trauma such as penetrating injury or lacerations to the eye or eyelid Chemical injury or burns
  • Problems arising from recent eye surgery

You should go to A&E after 5pm and at weekends, if participating opticians are closed and you need urgent advice.

How do I book an appointment with the service?

You can use MECS if you are registered with a Shropshire or Telford and Wrekin GP.

To make an appointment call 01772 717167 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) or email

You will be asked some questions about your symptoms, to assess how quickly you need to be seen by the service. Depending on your symptoms, you will be seen within one or two working days.

Appointments are available during normal working hours. Some opticians offer appointments at the weekend.

What happens next?

  • If your condition is more serious, the optician will book you an urgent appointment at a hospital eye clinic
  • If you need a routine appointment with a hospital, the optician will make a referral for you
  • If your eye condition is related to your general health, you may be advised to make an appointment with your GP
  • If you need medication, you may be advised to contact your local pharmacist